Last week, Judith Grutter delivered a fantastic webinar for CPP titled “Using MBTI® Type to Develop Interviewing and Job Search Skills” (part of our Ask an Expert webinar series). I love everything she shares with us, but this one has to be one of my favorites – especially since job search and preparing for interviews are such hot topics right now. Here are just a few of the many things I picked up:
- There are six job search basics and type plays a valuable role in each one: 1- know yourself, 2- target, 3- research, 4- resume, 5- interview, and 6- negotiate.
- There are never right or wrong MBTI® results – each preference and type identifies normal and valuable human behaviors. They are just a way to describe both differences (as well as similarities) with one another and learn to work through those.
- The heart of type defines WHO we are and WHAT our natural interests are. These 4 hearts are ST, SF, NF and NT.
- Judi presented a list of college majors each of the four hearts of type are attracted to and their preferred interview and resume style.
- Learn some cues on recognizing the four heart of type interviewers and how to respond to them the moment you walk in for the interview.
- Judi stressed that a key thing to learn is to teach your students to communicate TO type and not FROM type.